Thanksgiving Is the Time for ... Haiku. Huh?

I am thankful for my three children. 

I have so much to be thankful for that if I began listing all the sweet things in my life, I'd bore you.

Instead, I scribbled a list of what I appreciate, and then squeezed it all into a haiku. You know, that traditional form of Japanese poetry.

When it comes to regular poetry, I’m all thumbs, but haiku is different. Try it yourself. Here are some steps to make it easy.

Four Step Process

1. Write two sentences about something beautiful
2. Write a third sentence about something else you like or notice
3. Study the three sentences for a relationship between them all.
4. Write the poem in traditional haiku format, which is three lines. The first line must have just five syllables, the second line seven syllables, and the third line five syllables.

Some Tips to Make it Even Easier

Focus on nature, especially a season or time of year. Look for important details that capture the essence of what you appreciate or notice. Think in terms of the senses – sight, sound, scent, taste and touch. Finally, try to create a surprise in the third line, something that seems odd or different, but is actually related.

Now, Savor These Famous Samples 

An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.
     by Basho Matsuo (1644-1694)

Over the wintry
forest, winds howl in rage
with no leaves to blow.
    By Natsume Soseki (1275-1351)

I am thankful for blue skies and a husband who takes me shelling.

Here's My Attempt. Don't Laugh.

Fire crackles now.
Heat draws family inside.   
Birds fly south instead.


Whadda Ya Got?

I would love to see what you create for a Thanksgiving haiku. Crafting such a concise poem is a wonderful way to take inventory of your blessings. 

Happy Thanksgiving to you, my reader, one of my many blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment